Edgewood Baptist Church is an Independent Baptist Church, we love children and support missionaries.
With A. A. Pruett as the Pastor, Edgewood Baptist Church started in 1923 as a mission in a one-room frame building in East Lake along 27th Street, which at the time was at the edge of the woods.
Later, the building was enlarged and between 1951 and 1954 the building was again enlarged and bricked. A much needed Sunday School building was added as well. The church membership grew in the 1950's and after 1954, under the leadership of Fred Gregg, the first mixed couples class was formed with over 100 in attendance.
When Paul Norris became the Pastor in 1972, Edgewood no longer was affiliated with the Southern Baptist Association and became an Independent Baptist Church. On September 30, 1973 the church was struck by a "four alarm" fire shortly after the morning service. The congregation met in the fellowship hall while the building was rebuilt. Only a few months later, the fellowship hall and surrounding area was damaged by flood waters. The temporary fellowship hall/sanctuary was cleaned up and construction continued. Pastor Norris, a licensed contractor at the time, oversaw the construction efforts and a year later the new church was dedicated on September 29, 1974. God brought the congregation triumphantly through trials of "fire and flood".
In the late 1980's, the church began another growth spurt with Ron Bankson as the Pastor. A radio ministry was started and many heard the Gospel through this outreach.
In September of 2007, during Champ Agan's last year as pastor, Edgewood took a bold step of faith when the property in East Lake was sold and the congregation moved to a temporary location on Benton Drive off Highway 58 at Highway 153.
In December of 2008, Edgewood stepped out again and purchased the property at 3604 Ringgold Road at the intersection of Germantown Road. The building was originally Kingwood Baptist and most recently, Stanley Heights Baptist. The building had been purchased by Stanley Heights Baptist several years prior and after a considerable remodeling, they found themselves in need for more room and relocated to the former East Ridge Church of God property.
Edgewood began its East Ridge ministry in a fully reconditioned building only needing to replace the sign out front and some minor touch-up work. This prompted the church to adopt the slogan "Where God Guides, He Provides" based on Isaiah 58:11.